Slow Cooker Veggie Tortilla Soup
The magic of make-ahead dinners is that when time is of the essence, they feel like lifesavers. Whether you’re prepping for a month-long, all-consuming work project or helping stock a friend’s freezer, this healthy and hearty vegetarian dish will help fill the dinner table in no time at all.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute more. Add the cooked onion to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low 8–10 hours, or high 4-6 hours. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- To freeze, allow the soup to cool, then freeze it in a large freezer bag or airtight plastic container, omitting the tortilla strips.
- Serve with whole wheat tortilla strips, avocado, fresh cilantro and any other toppings you like.
Read more at http://ohmyveggies.com/make-freeze-slow-cooker-veggie-tortilla-soup/#hP5a1T0HkckPl2oB.99