There are no open Administrative Opportunities at this time.
Public Service Ambassador
The overall mission of the Public Service Ambassador program is to assist in creating a secure, well-managed and welcoming environment to all parties who frequent downtown Norfolk, including but not limited to: tourists, business people, and local and regional residents.
Under direct supervision, Public Service Ambassadors (PSAs) will serve as the eyes and ears of the Norfolk Police Department, Norfolk Public Works Department, Norfolk Dept. of City Planning and Downtown District Clean Team Ambassadors and will serve as public ambassadors of the Downtown Norfolk District. PSAs will patrol specified areas, thereby providing a visible uniformed presence to observe and report street disorder. PSAs will also serve as sources of information to the public, police officers, local businesses, tenants and other agencies and organizations.
Please note qualifications below and this link for job description.
Ambassador positions need to apply in person between 8:30am - 4:30pm at:
Downtown Norfolk Council
223 East City Hall Ave, Suite 212
Norfolk, VA 23510
Please note for Ambassador positions:
- Applicants must complete the application on premises.
- Partial applications will not be considered.
- Be sure to bring 5 years of job history and reference information with you.
Public Service Ambassador qualifications:
- Minimum of High School diploma or GED
- Related experience in the following fields including Hospitality, Marketing, Public Relations, Public Safety, Security or combination of experience and education.
- Minimum age of 18 years.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good physical condition.
- Demonstrated experience with public contact positions.
- Keen observation skills
- Willing and able to bend, walk and stand outdoors in extremes of climate for an eight hour shift while carrying approximately ten pounds of equipment.
- Willingness to wear specified uniform and to maintain a neat, professional appearance.
- Ability to work day and evening shifts, weekends, to include Friday and Saturday as well as select holidays.
- Ability to work well with others, support the Downtown Norfolk District in a wide variety of activities, and be capable of following written and verbal directives.
- Stable work history.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Successfully pass pre-employment tests; including, controlled substance screening, background investigation and reference checks.