7th Annual Norfolk Bike Month
Get on your bike in May and ride Downtown! Bike Month is a regional community celebration of biking as a healthy, economical and environmentally-friendly form of recreation. This year the Downtown Norfolk Council joins the City of Norfolk, HRT’s Traffix and Festevents to bring an array of bike-friendly events to Downtown:
- DNC First Friday, May 5, MacArthur Center Green, 5-8:30pm
- Temporary event racks for bike parking
- Free beer ticket to the first 25 bike riders to park at the racks
- Bike Part Swap at the Pagoda, May 7, Pagoda & Oriental Garden, 12-3pm
- Hosted by Carry Norfolk and NFK
- Come by to talk shop, meet local cyclists, trade bike parts, and see what others have to sell, trade, or give away.
- National Bike to Work Week, May 15-19
- Bike goodie bags for riding to work
- Elizabeth River Trail Bike-athalon, May 17, 6-7pm
- Meet at Chelsea parking lot, 1301 W. Olney Road
- Fitness stops at Chelsea/MHI parking lot, Jeff Robertson Park and ODU’s Whitehurst Beach training area. Cycle back making the same stops and ending at Smartmouth Brewing Company to stretch.
- Crossfit Little Creek trainers will lead the fitness stops for 10 to 15 minutes, then group rides bikes to the next stop.
- Open to all ages and fitness levels
- Bike to Work Day featuring pit stops for bicycle commuters, May 19, select locations
- Bike goodie bags, fruit, water and snacks for riding to work
- Pit Stops, 7-9am
- The Plot: DNC
- MacArthur Square: HRT’s Traffix and Downtown Norfolk Civic League
- TowneBank Fountain Park: Festevents
- 20th Street & Llewellyn Avenue: Ghent Neighborhood League & Ghent Business Association
- Chelsea: Chelsea Business District
- Glow Ride, May 19, The Plot, 8-9pm
- Blessing of the Bikes, May 20, TowneBank Fountain Park, 10am
- After Work Elizabeth River Trail Bike Meet Up Ride, May 25, TowneBank Fountain Park, 6-7pm
- Bikes, Brews & Baseball, May 31, 5-8pm
- Meet up at Smartmouth tasting room in Chelsea at 5-5:30pm
- Ride along the Trail to Harbor Park
- Home game Tides vs. Pawtucket starts at 6:35pm
- Tickets can be purchased in advance for group seating on the first base side near the bike racks. Use the code bike and this link.
- Co-hosted by NFK Creatives
For a full listing of Bike Month activities, visit norfolkbikemonth.com.
Be sure to tag us in your bike posts in May with #nfkbikemonth and #downtownlikesbikes for the chance to win bike gear from local cycle shop East Coast Bicycles. DNC Ambassadors will be handing out prizes to anyone caught riding downtown!