Downtown Norfolk LOVES dogs. Seriously. If you take your doggo on a walk around Downtown, we bet you will find most of the following: dog bowls outside of local establishments filled with water on a hot day, a great little dog walk to romp around in, doggie bag stations (and plenty of trash cans to discard them in after use -- so no excuses on not picking up after your pet, right?), and probably our own staff waiting to ask if your dog is friendly and we can pet them (I mentioned Downtown loves dogs, right?).
Our residents love dogs too: we have seen a major uptick in the number of puppers calling Downtown Norfolk their home. Our local businesses are doing all they can to accommodate our four-legged compatriots.
Dog-Friendly Downtown Restaurant Patios
Dog-Friendly Places to Live
- Monticello Station
- The James Apartments
- The Lorraine Apartments
- The Law Building Apartments
- The Virginia Building Apartments
- The Fairfax Apartments
- The Savoy
- The Edge
- The Rotunda
- ICON Norfolk
Resources for Downtown Doggies
Parks & Trails, for taking your favorite furry friend for a long walk, run, or bike ride:
- Downtown Norfolk Dog Walk
- Bea Arthur Dog Park (PETA's dog park)
- All of Downtown Norfolk's beautiful parks & trails, including the beautiful gardens surrounding the Pagoda and Town Point Park
- All city public dog parks
Nearby vets, for when your pooch isn't feeling their peppiest:
Nearby Dog Supplies, Daycare, and Grooming, because everybody needs a bath sometimes:
- Muddy Paws Downtown offers self-wash stations
- Groomingdale's of Ghent
- Wags Doggie Daycare & Self Dog Wash
- Happy Tails
- Local Dog Sitters on Rover.com
- Yappy Hour at Waterside District, presented by DogTown. Held every second Thursday in The Yard at Blue Moon TapHouse during the spring and summer, Yappy Hour gives you and and your four-legged bff a chance to mix and mingle with other dogs and their people, too. And all guests who bring their dogs receive happy hour specials and 10% off food purchases!
- Bark in the Park at Harbor Park. Dogs 60lbs and under are invited to specific dog-friendly games at Harbor Park, making for the cutest crowd EVER. These games only happen a few times a season, so be sure the check the Tide's schedule to and plan to take your pup out to the ball game!
- Sunday Dog Days at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. Load up the car and head out to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens on Sundays during the summer to take your dog on the most beautiful walk surrounded by all the fantastic plants that the Norfolk Botanical Gardens have!
To see EVERYTHING going on in Downtown Norfolk, check out our events calendar.
So there you have it! Everything you'll need to be sure you and your little buddy have a happy and healthy time in and around Downtown Norfolk. Happy tails to you!